There is a thousand way of preparing a fish dish in vietnam…. But there is a thousand kind of fish also. This time, it was a double win !
A fish dish is one of the mandatory dishes in the traditionnal vietnamese meal as I explained in my portrait of Kim the owner of Kim’s homestay. You have to cook it with the classical 4 basic products and use the classical cooking process though – here boiled. A real family recipe !
- 3 slices of fish – ours look like tuna but I haven’t been able to confirm this information. Anyway the flesh was slightly dry and tasty
- 25 cl fish sauce
- 3 sliced onions
- 1/2 tbsp of chinese salt (taste inhancer – it’s better not to use it as it’s not really healthy)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 green peppers (Helps for the smell of fish in the house and for the little spice twist)
- In a frying pan, fry the onions
- In another pan, sear the fish and add the fish sauce
- Put the fish and the fish sauce into the onions and add some sugar (to balance the salty effect of the fish sauce), chinese salt, green peppers cut into 2 and let it come to boil for 15 to 20 minutes
- At the end of the process, add some water if you need more sauce