A delicious christmas dinner for those on the road – no oven
As I said in a few previous recipes, when you’re on the road without a proper kitchen you have to improvise a bit. And when you care about the environment and you want to eat local you definitely have to get creative.
Duck breast is absolutely not local since we are in Portugal but after more than a year and a half on the road and our second christmas without our families, I was craving for something that could look like a real christmas dinner. I focused on local sauce then and made it with the oranges from the garden of my airbnb in Coimbra ! Therefore this recipe is not 100% value proof but we don’t need to turn food into a religion, right ?!
Ingredients for 2 to 4 persons :
- 2 duck breasts
- 4 oranges
- 1 shallot
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 4 Tbsp orange jam
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Olive oil
- Chop shallot and fry it with olive oil.
- Squeeze 3 oranges.
- in a saucepan add fried shallot, orange juice, honey, jam and chicken cube over middle to high heat and reduce until caramel type of texture (see picture).
- Supreme the last orange.
- Clean duck breasts (take off any nerve or excess of fat on the meat side).
- On the skin side, draw crosses with a knife.
- Salt both sides of duck breasts.
- In a very hot frying pan, fry duck breasts, skin side first. Do not touch it, let it cook until brown (see picture) and then flip it, do not touch until brown. (Duck is better rare but if you like your meat well done or over cooked, put your meat in the oven after cooking process for 3 to 10 minutes depending on how well cooked you like it)
- Serve on a plate with sauce and orange supremes.
And in case you were wandering how to supreme an orange, I found this youtube video in english for you.