Because sustainable also means “a bit of everything” !
If you’re healthy and not allergic to anything, you probably already know that the two principles of a sustainable and well balanced diet is “diversity” and “moderation”. It is recommended to limit your meat consumption but not recommended to end it at all. A good alternative would definitely be to eat meat once or twice a week and using it as an excuse to buy a real good piece of meat from your local butcher and cook it like you really love it – 100% pleasure, 0% waste.
In these moments, I go for raw beef – “Tartare” – first category, which contains less than 6 % fat and is therefore perfect for a raw treatment or sauté, grilled or roasted : rib steak, sirloin, striploin, prime cut, flank, rump steak, spider stek ; As opposed to 2nd and 3rd categories which contain more collagen and therefore are more recommended for a long cooking treatment in watery conditions to make sure the meat becomes super tender – Like in carbonnade flamande, bœuf bourguignon or any stew for example.
Recipe for 2 persons
- 300 g 1st category beef
- 3 oil preserved tomatoes
- 1 handful choped rocket
- 1 handful sesame seeds (or sunflower seeds)
- 2 big Tbsp ground parmesan cheese
- 1 sliced shallot
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 big Tbsp honey
- 1 small Tsp mustard (optionnal)
- Vegetal oil
- Black pepper
- Take meat out of the fridge and leave it at room temperature until red.
- Fry sesame seeds until golden.
- If not done yet : Chop rocket, shallot, finely cut tomatoes, juice lemon, grind parmesan cheese.
- Make sauce : In a separate bowl, combine shallot, mustard, salt, black pepper, honey and slowly add oil while whisking.
- Finely cut beef meat with a very sharp knife.
- In a big bowl, combine together beef, sesame seeds, parmesan cheese, rocket, tomatoes, mix, season and transfer to a plate using a cookie cutter or a bowl/plastic bowl with the shape of what you have in mind for your final result.
- Serve with a mix of greens (mesclun), chips, fried potatoes, jacket potato, fried vegetables…