Red lentils and ratatouille for a meal full of fibers, vitamins and proteins without any big expenses
Finally June is here !!! At last, it’s ratatouille time with its wonderful mediterranean smell and colors. And for saving money (or starting to think sustainable by limiting our meat consumption, or simply finding a new way of eating ratatouille) here is a colorful way of making a healthy meal with ratatouille and red lentils for a concentrate of proteins, vitamins and fibers.
Ingredients (for 2 to 4 persons depending on the size of vegetables) :
- 1 courgette (zucchini)
- 1 aubergine (Eggplant)
- 1 tomato
- 1 yellow pepper (or red, or green…)
- 140 g red lentils
- Olive oil
- Green olives (handful)
If you live in Brussels, all these ingredients can be found at Bio Vrac, chaussée d’alsemberg
- For a different/more mediterranean taste, you can rub your frying pan with a clove of garlic or fry a choped onion or a choped shallot before adding vegetables. But here in this recipe I chose not to do so in order to keep the vegetables’ taste unchanged.
- Clean and cut vegetables.
- In a frying pan with olive oil, fry yellow pepper, courgette and aubergine and cover until courgette starts becoming slightly transparent.
- Take off the lid, add tomato and green olives.
- Rinse red lentils.
- Cook lentils : Start with cold water, no vinegar, no salt, cover. No magical timing, you have to taste it to know it’s ready – tender (just for information the cooking process for red lentils is quite quick, a few minutes only after boiling point – Be careful).
- In a big bowl stir lentils and ratatouille…