Homemade fresh cheese, egyptian way, less than 2 days !
There are several ways of making cheese as there are different moments in the making process where you can stop or keep going to reach a new texture or taste.This short version is quicker, fresher and softer which is better to eat with spices, honey and fruits. It’s also easier to make it at home. The long version is drier, the taste is saltier which makes it better with bread. But this version is also more difficult to be made at home as it requires space, mud pots, glass jar and a long process of 2 years.
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 yogurt
- One piece of fabric like gauze
- In the evening :
- In a pot put 1 liter of milk together with one mixed yogurt (you mix it to make it a bit liquid before blending it to the milk). Mix it well before next step.
- Heat the oven at 180 °C. As soon as the oven is hot, switch it off and put the milk inside for the entire night. The milk is going to start curdling
- Next morning:
- Heat some water (not boiled, just hot) and add 2 cups of it in the milk. With a tool, trace a grid inside the milk to make sure the water goes everywhere.
- Leave it until it gets cold ; room temperature.
- Filter the milk with the fabric. Tie the fabric somewhere for between 30 minutes and a few hours so that it keeps drying slowly.
- Once there is no drops coming from the fabric anymore, stop the drying process, salt the cheese you just made and store in a box in the fridge.
- You can add any spice or herbs that you want around your cheese to give it a new taste : Thyme (for mediterranneans), celeriac salt (for belgians), zatar (for people from middle east),cumin, walnuts, chestnusts, seeds…