Kima, The super simple and delicious iranian stew
It’s been a few days that I’m in the desertic region in a traditionnal iranian inn called Farvardinn in Fahraj, a small village very close to Yazd.
The owner, Massoud, and also his wife and the lady who helps and cooks for lunch are all very good cooks. Massoud shared one of his speciality with me : Kima
Ingredients (for 6 persons) :
- 9 big potatoes, peeled, and cut into cubes
- 300 g mushrooms, cleaned and choped
- 1,5 kg meat : half beef, half lamb
- 2 big chopped onions
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled, mashed and chopped
- 5 big tomatoes mashed into pulp
- Black pepper
- Chili (optionnal)
- Spices mix : Cumin, cinnamon, powder of coriander seeds and dried basil
- Fry the onions in oil and add 2 tablespoons of curcuma at the end of the cooking process.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and half the tomato pulp. Cover.
- Add the meat, mix the preparation, cover, leave it for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the pulp and leave it until the “water” coming from the tomatoes disapear.
- Fry the potatoes.
- 5 minutes before the end, add a teaspoon of chili in the meat preparation (optionnal), 1 to 2 teaspoons of black pepper, 2 teaspoons of spices mix and as much salt as you need to get the perfect taste.
Serve in the same dish the meat, the sauce and the fried potatoes on top.