It is definitely possible to make a super crunchy granola using medjool dates and water…
For this friday sustainable recipe day, I decided to go healthy and make a delicious sugar free granola. Medjool dates and seeds are not produced in Belgium, therefore, in order to be as sustainable as possible I bought my products in bulk and I chose to buy them in a store in my neighbourhood. Healthy, no extra packaging and local economy, we have a winner !
You’ll probably get surprised reading the list of ingredients when you think of a bowl of super crunchy granola, but you’ll have to trust me on this one, it works, and the result is really delicious !
Recipe inspired by the blog feastingonfruits.
- 140 g medjool dates
- 77 g water
- 70 g tahini (or any seeds or nuts butter)
- 175 g rolled oats
- 50 g pumpkin seeds
- 50 g sunflower seeds
- 50 g flax seeds
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Soak medjool dates in water for 30 minutes.
- Drain medjool dates and keep 77 g of soaking water.
- Preheat oven to 300 F (150 °C)
- In a blender, combine medjool dates, water, tahini, cinnamon, vanilla and salt.
- Blend until homogeneous and smooth.
- In a large bowl, combien dried ingredients : Oats, seeds.
- Add date mixture to dry ingredients, and mix until evenly coated.
- Spread out granola evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, then 8, 8 again and finally 5 minutes. Stir moving the outside bits to the inside and vice versa every time you take the granola out of the oven.