A delicious recipe from my childhood for a special Xmas tea party
My mum won the first price at last year’s ginger bread contest in our small town in the south east of France… Without a moment of hesitation she sent me the recipe so that I could share it with you guys… I tested it, it’s definitely my favorite recipe too (Thanks mum !)
- 250 g honey
- 250 g flour
- 80 g brown sugar
- 13 g vanilla sugar
- 6 g de baking powder
- 50 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 10 cl milk
- 3 tsp spices like a 4 spices mix or a special ginger bread mix (In bold, the 4 main spices : cinnamon, clove, ginger, nutmeg, star anise, coriander, hot pepper)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 orange zest or 3 tsp preserved citrus (click on the link for the recipe of preserved clementines)
- The day before:
- In a small pan, melt honey, butter and milk together.
- in a bowl, combine dried ingredients : Flour, sugar, vanilla sugar, baking powder, spices, zest or preserved citrus.
- Once honey and butter mix is melted and back at room temperature,combine it with dried ingredients.
- Break and beat eggs and ass it to dough until homogeneous.
- Grease a cake tin, add dough and let rest from 3 hours to one full night at room temperature.
- The next day:
- Preheat oven at 160°C.
- In a convection oven : cook for 45 minutes at 160°C ; in a non convection oven : Cook for 75 minutes at 160°C.
- Cool completely before removing from the tin.